Reward Strategy




Scots abroad could face inaccurate tax bills, warn experts

Scottish people living abroad risk paying the wrong amount of tax on UK-earned income, says the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT).

Twitter LinkedIn

HMRC regulations state that if a Scottish person is classed as a non- UK resident, they should be regarded as a UK taxpayer and not a Scottish taxpayer. However, if HMRC holds a Scottish address for a non-UK resident, the ATT has warned that HMRC may incorrectly determine them to be liable for Scottish rates of income tax.

The ATT was made aware of the problem after learning that HMRC is using the address it holds for a taxpayer as the identifier as to whether they are a Scottish or UK taxpayer. To correct this, HMRC insists on an overseas address being supplied as the main address and will leave, on request, any Scottish address held as a correspondence address. This can create difficulties when the individual is in temporary accommodation abroad and has no fixed address overseas.

This is more than just an administrative problem for taxpayers because if they are classed a Scottish taxpayer in 2017-18, and they have non-savings/non-dividend income taxable in the UK, such as rental income, they may pay more income tax overall than they would pay if they were classed as a UK taxpayer. This is because the threshold between the basic rate band and the higher rate band is set at £43,000 for those entitled to the personal allowance in Scotland, compared to £45,000 in the rest of the UK.2

Yvette Nunn, co-chair of ATT’s Technical Steering Group, said: “We would urge relevant individuals or their advisers to contact HMRC to give an overseas address and perhaps ask that they keep the Scottish address as a postal address only. Otherwise the risk is their tax return will be rejected and they may pay more tax than they should because of an assumption that they are a Scottish taxpayer rather than a UK taxpayer.

“The system does not adequately cater for those that cannot provide an overseas address, for example someone who is travelling for a long period. In those circumstances they are unable to provide details of an overseas residence. HMRC needs to move with the times and it needs to be possible to have an address that is a contact address while they are abroad rather than a place of residence.”

Twitter LinkedIn

You might also like

DWP contacting payroll about changes to employee deductions

The Department for Work and Pensions will be contacting payroll departments who are making child maintenance deductions from employees’ pay to the Child Support Agency (CSA).

National Payroll Week puts sector in the spotlight at Westminster

Monday 4 September marked the start of National Payroll Week, with the theme of ‘Putting payroll in the spotlight’.

Sexual harassment going unreported in large firms

One in eight large UK employers admits knowing sexual harassment has gone unreported in their workplace, according to a YouGov survey.

Low-paid mums and dads penalised over flexible work, study reveals

Asking for family-friendly working patterns leads to getting fewer hours, worse shifts and in some cases losing their jobs, low-paid mums and dads report.

More Stories

Event of the Month

The Rewards


Reward Strategy

Did you find our website useful?

Thank you for your input

Thank you for your feedback - an online news and information service for the UK’s payroll, reward, pensions, benefits and HR sectors. is published by Shard Financial Media Limited, registered in England & Wales as 5481132, Axe & Bottle Court, 70 Newcomen St, London, SE1 1YT. All rights reserved. Reward Strategy is committed to diversity in the workplace.
© Copyright Shard Financial Media Ltd